Motor vehicle drivers and passengers must sit in a seat that has a seatbelt available and they must have the seatbelt fastened and worn correctly.
people killed in road crashes were not wearing a seatbelt in 2016.
and 4 demerit points for driving without a seatbelt on.
Wearing a seatbelt is one of easiest ways to protect drivers and passengers in a vehicle. You are 10 times more likely to be killed in a road crash if you’re not wearing a seatbelt in a car.
- Always ensure your seatbelt is properly adjusted and securely fastened.
- The sash should be placed over the middle of the shoulder and diagonally across the chest.
- The lap belt should sit snugly over the hips.
- Never share a seatbelt with a child on your lap.
Seat Belt Penalties
|with 1 unrestrained passenger||$600||4|
|with 2 unrestrained passengers||$700||4|
|with 3 unrestrained passengers||$800||4|
|with 4 or more unrestrained passengers||$900||4|
|with 1 unrestrained passenger||$550||4|
|with 2 unrestrained passengers||$600||4|
|with 3 unrestrained passengers||$700||4|
|with 4 or more unrestrained passengers||$800||4|
|Other Driver Offences|
|Driver not ensuring child under 7 years is suitably restrained||$550||4|
|Driver allowing passenger in open utes, etc.||$550||4|
|Unrestrained passenger over the age 16||$550||0|
|Passenger riding in open utes, etc.||$550||0|
Child car restraints
The age and height of a child should be taken into consideration when choosing the appropriate car restraint for your child. Avoid old or worn restraints, that are more than 10 years old or have previously been in a crash. And ensure your child car restraint has been correctly installed in your vehicle.
Western Australian laws specify by age the type of child car seat or seatbelt that a child should use:
- Birth to under six months to be restrained in a rearward facing child restraint (e.g. infant capsule).
- Six months to under four to be restrained in either a rearward or forward facing child restraint with in-built harness.
- Four to under seven to be restrained in either a forward-facing child restraint or booster seat restrained by a correctly adjusted and fastened seatbelt or child safety harness.
Child Car Restraints Calculator